February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love is in the air and let me tell you that I love any excuse to celebrate, including the holidays of the Hallmark variety!  For the second year we all got dressed up and had a nice dinner in our dining room.  I'm glad to be making this a new tradition.  The menu this year was pork carnitas with tex-mex rice and pinto beans wrapped in a flour tortilla and pan fried, and it was delicious!  I served it with some chips and salsa, just like you get in the Mexican restaurants!
Pork Carnitas - YUM!
We only had one school celebration (our Family Center party) since we got some major snow yesterday that caused schools to cancel for 2 days.  So unfortunately, the boys were unable to celebrate with their classmates and hand out their special Valentine's but at least we got to celebrate at home.  They loved their box of chocolates and heart shaped lollipop from the local candy store.

The Heart Shaped cake we shared with our Family Center friends!

I always have fun putting together the Valentine cards for the boys.  This year I used a pink back drop and made a Valentin'es Day set.  I always get the boys some kind of dress shirt in the red/pink family and because Evan's still little, I'm always able to get him a cute Valentine's long sleeved tee.  They don't make them in big boy sizes.  Either way they all looked handsome in their card portraits!  This is the 3rd year we have done these cards (after I got the idea from a friend!) and I just love doing them!  And for the record, they are just as easy to put together as some of the store bought ones!!
All You Need is LOVE & LOLLIPOPS!
Evan starting to work on his cards!
David signing his cards!
Shaun did a great job writing all his classmates names!

I just love our fancy dinners.  If you have young kids and you want to do something special on Valentine's Day, get the family dressed up and have dinner at home.  It's lots of fun!  This year we finished the night by watching some highlights of the Olympics with the boys.  They got a kick out of the slope-style skiing and snowboarding.
The boys dressed to the nines and ready for dinner!
Me and my Valentines!
Ready to enjoy "Fancy Dinner"
And now time to relax and share some Candy Shoppe truffles with my #1 Valentine!

1 comment:

Princess B said...

I want to try the lollipop picture idea sometime. so cute!