March 2, 2015

February Staycation!

Last week we were on our school break and so we decided to plan a few day trips of winter fun!  We went skiing twice and tubing once!  The other days were for R&R.  David and Shaun have gotten in some good ski instruction during their 5 weeks of ski club through school and it showed!

Because Evan has not really had much experience we were able to put him into a ski camp for the days we skied so that he would be able to get some instruction and we wouldn't have to worry about him while we skied!  He loved it and by the second day he was starting to be able to make turns with some assistance!

I also decided to take another lesson and because we went on a very cold weekday, I ended up getting a 2 hour private lesson for the cost of a group lesson!  It was really great to get some one on one instruction and tips on my form.  I have never felt more comfortable on skis!  I still have some work to do and I think next year I might try and take another lesson in a more advanced level because I want to be able to ski steeper terrain without feeling afraid!

On Monday we headed up to Gunstock and that is where I got my lesson.  It's a really nice mountain and I enjoyed the last trail we skied.  It was long and winding and you really cannot beat the views!

Ready for some skiing!
Taking a lunch break and sporting some serious helmet hair!
Shaun and I skied a few trails together so that David and Dad could ski some black diamonds.  Shaun made sure to explain the terrain to me to make sure I was OK!
Evan waiting to be picked up from camp!  He loved it!
On Wednesday we headed up to Waterville Valley.  I had skied their last year and felt pretty comfortable after the lesson I took at Gunstock that I chose to just ski.  I was pretty comfortable and the trail that freaked me out last year was a lot less scary this year!  David and Shaun had a blast trying out the terrain parks and skiing over the jumps and hills, trying out some moguls and even a black diamond.  Though for Shaun that was totally on accident.  But he made it and was super proud of himself!  Both boys were impressive to watch.  Not sure I'll ever be ready for a black diamond, but I am enjoying the time on the slopes with the family and so glad I gave this whole thing a second chance!

Evan and Momma selfie - before the little goes off to camp!
At the summit!


At the summit of Waterville Valley!
David skiing by the bear cave!
After David had master a jump and landed it cleanly!  He was all about the thumbs up!

David capturing his me on skis!
Chairlift selfie!
The boys wanted to ski the terrain park some more so I picked Evan up from camp and we watched his big brothers ski!
David finishing the terrain park, not quite ready for the rails, but he was landing jumps!
Victory!
Big brothers wanted to ski some more so Evan and I got a snack!
Our last winter break adventure was to do some tubing!  We tried to squeeze in as much as we could before we got busy again!  And before all the snow melts!  Yeah, I know, we're probably the only ones who feel that way!

Waiting in line for our turn!
Riding the tow line up to the top!
Evan enjoying the ride!
We did a line and went super fast!
Tubing selfie!
Perfect ending to a perfect staycation!
I got a couple videos of our tubing experience.  The first one is all of us riding down in a line on our tubes!  We were going pretty fast and I had to do this without my gloves on.  My hands were numb by the end!


This is David and Charlie going down the ski jump on the tube.  David is first in the video and then followed by Charlie!

No comments: