February 19, 2006

P. Sohpie's Baby Story - Week 16

I have been pregnant now for 16 weeks and now that it seems more real to me here are some things that have come to my attention:

(1) Now that my belly has "popped" a little bit making my pregnancy noticeable - people have no qualms about touching and or placing their hands on my stomach. If they don't touch it - they stare and make comments such as - "oh your belly is starting to poke out", "aw look at the pregnant belly" or “wearing a skirt today – pants getting a little tight?” or if they don’t know my news it’s the infamous is she pregnant or just eating to many Twinkies stare.

(2) Since announcing my pregnancy at work I am not allowed to do anything myself. My co-workers won’t let me carry anything that may weigh more than a cardboard box. My husband, the Doc, on the other hand feels much differently. He has no problem with me walking four blocks home carrying groceries or the laundry basket up the stairs. He says that it’ll toughen me up for the labor delivery and doesn’t want me to have any new learned behaviors.

(3) I don’t think the Doc and I are mature enough to raise a child. How can two people who watch The Family Guy or South Park be mature enough to raise a child? And don’t even get me started on my serious problem with the “F” word. My supervisor enjoys pointing out my trash mouth at work and telling me that my baby can hear me.

(4) Although I don’t insist that the Doc run out in the middle of the night for ice cream and pickles, I have been known to whine incessantly about other things. For example, “Honey can you do this for me” or “Honey will you rub my back it hurts”. Most of the time I am my usually sane pre-pregnant self – but in my defense pregnancy hormones can wreak havoc in an otherwise normal woman. I had a moment a week ago where I flipped my lid and told the Doc he doesn’t care about the baby like I do because he didn’t get emotional when looking at the baby stuff I bought for Ben and Robyn.

(5) Now that we are in the midst of the second trimester, more and more I am thinking about the fact that this being inside me eventually has to come out of me. Women of all ages who have had babies love to tell the horror stories of labor and delivery. My favorite is the one my mother-in-law tells me about giving birth to my husband. How he weighed almost 10 lbs and because they grossly underestimated his birth weight, well let’s just say she was under prepared.

That's the story for now - more postings to come as we prepare for the baby to enter the world!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I have one word Epidural!!!!! It really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Focus on the here and now. enjoy being pregnant. enjoy letting people do things for you (it doesn't happen very often) although I know it can be annoying. And as far as not being mature enough... hello Brian has a 4 month old and is a wonderful father, but don't be fooled. we had the same concerns and we're doing just fine. ENJOY! there are times I wish I were still pregnant!

Brian said...

I know you are getting big, you are uncomfortable, and your fett might even be swelling, but keeping the kid in you is far easier than when he or she comes out.

When inside, they don't cry, they don't get hungry, you don't have to change diapers, you can sleep, and you can go where ever you want to, whenever you want to.

Enjoy it while it lasts!