August 3, 2014

The Everything is AWESOME Boys Birthday Bash!

Today was the annual birthday extravaganza!  It's a day filled with lots of family, lots of friends, laughing, craziness and fun!  This year the theme was LEGOS; specifically the lego movie and like the famous song from the movie, everything really was awesome!

Lego Movie Tees!
We are ready to party!
I usually like to come up with quirky names for the food based on the birthday theme, like lasts years Hulkdogs and Thorburgers.  This years "Everything is Awesome" theme; made the naming of the food easy.  We had Awesome Hamburgers, Awesome Hot dogs, Awesome Chicken Wings, Awesome Pulled Pork, Awesome Potato Salad, Awesome Sweet and Sour Kielbasa...you get the idea!

The food!
Everything is Awesome, even the food!
I'm creative when it comes to food, but I don't typically bother with birthday games; instead we rent a giant inflatable water slide!  It's fun for the kids and I don't have to come up with games and entertainment!  The best part is the company comes and sets it up and takes it down at the end of the day.  Money well spent!

The "Awesome" inflatable water slide!
But I'm not completely against birthday stuff.  I do enjoy a good pinata!  This years theme though, surprisingly didn't lend itself to purchasing a pinata as I have done in the past.  So it was Pinterest to the rescue!  I found some tutorials on how to put together a lego piece using some Amazon boxes.  A lot of peoples sweat and tears went into this project, so thanks to those who helped me!


The Lego Pinata that took 5 people to get 100% ready!
The craziness after the pinata is opened!

Even Mom and Dad get into the theme!
My homemade lego ice cream cake.  It never looks pretty, but it's so yummy and I enjoy making them!  We'll pretend the candy legos I spent an entire afternoon making didn't all fall off the side because the cool whip was too soft!


It's also been a tradition to set off fireworks at the end of the night.  It's not usually dark enough, but the kids still enjoy the show.  Especially the sparklers!


We got some good ones this year!


It's always a long but super fun day and we really do have the best family and the best friends!  Thanks to everyone who made our boys day extra special!

No comments: