November 20, 2005

P. Sophie's Review: The Goblet of Fire:

Don't worry NO SPOILERS HERE! Went to see the new Harry Potter Flick last night w/ the Princess Bride and Man in Black. Here is my review and experience in a nutshell.

This movie is by far darker than the previous three with creepy with images of skulls and dark graveyards. I would say not suited for young children. I enjoyed it for what it was worth. The movie obviously takes liberties in the plot due to the fact that 734 pages are expected to be squeezed into a 2-1/2 hour movie. If you're expecting the book then you will be greatly disappointed. The movie focuses strictly on the tournament and the rise of Lord Voldemort. Scenes left out that were not disappointing, the Dursley's and the house elves. Something about a house elf showing up would take away from the dark and creepiness of the movie, although it's not nearly as bad as Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars: Episode I.

It was interesting watching in a packed theater (which I try not to do very often). Thankfully the Man in Black is resourceful and with quick goat thinking he was able to get us four seats in a row. Had we shown up any later we would’ve had to split up for sure. The kid sitting behind me kicked the back of my seat a lot because he just HAD to make out with his girlfriend. I don’t know about you but there is something about Harry Potter that just get’s me in the mood, if you know what I mean. It didn’t ruin my movie going experience for the most part because they were relatively quite and had it not been for the kicking I probably wouldn’t have even noticed the steamy love scene going on behind me.

To sum things up – I liked it. If you’re a fan as I am and have read all the books and rushed out to see all the movies I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, although I thought for sure I.A. would like Napoleon Dynamite. Yes, I feel confident enough to recommend it (just remember it’s not the book).

1 comment:

Princess B said...

I would agree with P. Sophie's review. Good movie, of course the book was better.

There were definitely a bunch of little kids there who couldn't even read (Daddy what's that say?!?!) so I doubt they read the books. Read the book, and do this story justice (Stackmiester). It can stand on its own as a movie, but doesn't (understandably) do justice to the book. I enjoyed it, but I also understood more of the background that they didn't have time to include, and if you don't have that background you're missing a lot of character and story development.

As far as the steamy love scene behind you--I think the poor kids behind me learned a little more than they originally knew coming into that movie...At least go to a crappy movie like Jurassic Park II (the only movie I ever walked out of in a theatre) if you want to make out the whole time.

Ugh! Idiot! --Napoleon Dynamite