June 10, 2008

Worth the Wait!

I am so elated to announce that Shaun is FINALLY here! He arrived with full force today June 10th at 6:21pm. He weighed 7lbs 15oz and is 21 inches long.





Shaun's birth story in timeline form:

8:00 am - we checked in and waited for our room.

9:45am - got to our room and waited for a while to be hooked up to IV.

11:30am - got the IV (after multiple sticks) in and waited patiently for the pitocin order.

12:40pm - Pitocin was started - game on!

3:00pm - I was ready for my epidural but had to wait due to some emergency c-sections.

4:15pm - The anestheologist came to my rescue.

5:00pm - Started to feel some relief!

5:15pm - The midwife came to check my progress. I was a good 5cm and she was happy that Shaun had moved down. She saw some decellerations in Shaun's heartrate and they decided to put a fetal scalp monitor on his head. I am set the nurse leaves and like 5 minutes later I felt so much pain that it brought tears to my eyes. It happend again and I was screaming. They may have heard me on the other side of the hospital.

Most likely when they put the monitor on his head they accidentally broke my water in the process. With my water now broken - in the span of 10 minutes I went from 5cm to fully dilated and ready to push this baby out!

5:30pm - they tell me I can start pushing. He was having more decellerations and they thought it had to do with a cord issues. They asked me to wait in between contractions and breath through them instead.

6:15pm - The doctor arrives to take over for the midwife because of the heart rate decellerations. The midwife left and three pushes later Shaun was out.

It was so surreal how fast it all went down - I was overwhelmed and not ready to say the least. Everything about the end stage was so different this time around. It was just me, Charlie, my nurse and the doctor in the room. With David's birth (due to the vaccum assist) we had an entourage of people in our room. Once he came out everything was so calm. Shaun was even peaceful in the warmer. I had no tears and feel so much better this time around.

11:00pm - I am finally in my room and ready to be a Mommy of two!

6 comments:

Mis Pretty said...

CONGRATULATIONS WICKS FAMILY!! He's a doll!!!

Erica said...

YEAH!!!! We are so happy for you!! He's a cutie! Glad we have someone to join our club, parents of two!! Can't wait to meet him!

Jazell said...

I'm so happy the birth went well! Cant wait to meet Shaun!

Anonymous said...

I see a little Charlie!!!! oh so cute, congrats my loves!!!

Christina said...

Congratulations! He's absolutely beautiful and you look great!

Princess B said...

Hooray!!! Can't wait to meet him in a little over a week! =) Congratulations!