February 18, 2009

The Dish of the Week:

I always liked to cook and try new dishes. I cooked in college, when the Doc was in medical school (the first time we really lived on our own), and even when we moved to Philly before David was born. However, it wasn't until after David was born that I decided to broaden my horizons. I became slightly addicted to cooking shows on the food network, like 30 Minute Meals, and now we try at least one new dish a week!

Those of you who know the Doc, know that he's not one for gushing. This sometimes makes it hard for me to tell how he really feels about the recipe. If he doesn't like something I have made, it's in his best interest to tell me so that I don't make it again! I appreciate the honesty, and even when he tells me he doesn't like something he always makes sure to compliment the effort (he's a smart guy!). That was when we came up with our star system (like in movies) - after each new dish he'll give it anywhere from 1 to 5 stars.

Last week we ended up trying four new dishes. Here is the winner (according to the Doc):

Crock Pot Mongolian Style Beef

Ingredients:
1 lb beef flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain
1 medium white onion or yellow onion, sliced thinly (about 1 cup)
½ cup light soy sauce
½ cup dry sherry
½ cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
¼ cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
¼ cup cornstarch
1 cup cut scallion, in 1 ½ inch pieces (green onions)
1/3 cup fruity white wine

Directions:
1. Slice the flank steak thinly across the grain - the strips should be 2 to 3 inches long each; set aside.

2. Combine the onion, soy sauce, sherry, broth, garlic, hoisin, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper flakes, then put the mixture into the crock pot.

3. Put the cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag; add the sliced beef and toss well to coat.

4. Add the coated beef into the crock pot, gently pushing it into the liquid to cover; pour the white wine over - do NOT stir.

5. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours; an hour before you're going to serve, turn the crock pot to high, add the cut scallions, stir, and cook for an additional hour.

Stir, and serve over rice or noodles.

The Verdict:
The Doc gave this dinner a solid 4 stars. It was lacking in the veggie department so next time I will be adding some sugar snap peas, broccoli and maybe some water chestnuts. We served ours over basmati rice. This is a great no fuss dinner for those days you just don't feel like doing much in the kitchen!

2 comments:

Jazell said...

sounds pretty good from the looks of the recipe. What flavor fruity wine did you choose?

Boston Pam said...

I actually didn't have a fruity white wine. I just used the cooking wine you get at the supermarket. Next time I'll pick something out though.