February 12, 2009

Hi, My Name is Pam and I LOVE to EAT!

So it's not real secret how much I love food - it's seriously amazing that I don't weigh like 300lbs. After having David my baby weight came off pretty quick, and I was almost back to my original weight before getting pregnant again with Shaun. After Shaun, I lost the first 20lbs very quickly (thank you breastfeeding) but the last 10 stuck around. I was having a hard time getting rid of it.
The first thing we did was change our eating habits drastically. It is amazing how much eating out can have an impact on your weight. Just by cooking every night I was able to drop another 5lbs. Then in October we bought the Wii Fit and I started to do a Wii workout during the boys naps. In 6 months I was back down to the weight I was before Shaun. I was so happy. My motivation was seeing the Doc drop 30lbs since summer because he started running again. I couldn't very well sit on my lazy butt while he was getting in shape and being healthy!

Now since we live in New England and it snows here in the winter (a lot), the Doc wasn't going to be able to run outside much. He had always talked about getting a treadmill, but it's expensive and, frankly, he's cheap! I mentioned this to his family and suggested that they get him Sears cards for Christmas. So after the new year we became the proud owners of a Nordic Trak treadmill! I started to use it as well. I have never been one for running, (I prefer the elliptical machine) so I thought I would just use it to sort of power walk.

Well the Doc challenged me and said that I should try to jog. I didn't think I could but I figured it couldn't hurt and I could always go back into a walk. Well I am now up to 20 minutes of straight jogging in my 30 minute workout. It's not a fast speed but I am working on it and happy that I have been able to push myself to get to this point. I won't lie, it sucks, and I HATE it, but afterwards I feel great!

It wasn't until I was looking at some pictures from this summer that I realized just how much our hard work has paid off. The Doc is at a nice healthy BMI and while I still have more work to do but I am happy to be seeing some results! You can see below - pictures from the summer and more recent ones!!

Me in August (Shaun's Baptism)


This is me a couple weeks ago:


The Doc in August (Shaun's Baptism)


The Doc today!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

WOW! You guys are doing awesome. Keep up the good work!

Boston Pam said...

Thanks!! It's hard but seeing that first picture is pretty good motivation!

Erica said...

you can really see the difference. good for you! I only wish my hard work paid off like yours!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!!!! Super-de-duper!! Totally wish I could get motivated.

Princess B said...

Yeah, those pesky last 10lbs are a female dog (I'm trying to think of alternatives to swearing!). You guys look great tho!

How is it that The Doc looks paler in August than February? You haven't even taken your Disney trip yet! Can I sneak in David's suitcase? I really need some Vitamin D!