July 22, 2012

Star Wars Birthday Bash!

Summer birthdays are never easy to plan, especially when you have 2 and one is right when school is ending. With Evan's birthday close by in May, it is so much easier to plan one Summer Birthday Bash. So we have made this our annual tradition! This is our fourth combined party and the second one at our new house! This years theme was Star Wars (the previous years were The Beach, Pirate, Mario Bros.) and it was even though it was SO hot (reminded me of David's 1st Birthday) and I waited too long to reserve the water slide bounce house the kids had a blast and that is what counts!

I never go crazy on my decorations but I found these wall decals on Amazon and couldn't resist.  Charlie and I laughed because when you open up our new slider it makes it look like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are ready to battle!  Ha!  I also got a few Star Wars table cloths for my food table and a Star Wars birthday banner.


Now onto the menu! I like to feed people and have a tendency to go overboard, but was proud of myself this year and we had just enough food with only a few leftovers!  I love to have leftovers, just not loads and loads of them! With the help of family and friends we had the perfect menu.
Brian's famous Pepperoni & Sausage bread!!
On the menu this year (and thanks to Pinterest for some help with the names!) was Han-burgers and Jabba the Hutdogs (with loads of toppings from caramelized onions,sauteed mushrooms, bacon and chili), Palpatine Pulled Pork, Bink's Baked Beans, X-wings (chicken wings!), Chewbacca Kielbasa, Boba Fruit Salad, Macaroni Falcon Salad, General Greekous Salad and Darth Vader Tater Salad! For beverages we had Wookie Waters, Jawa Juice Boxes, Yoda Soda (lemon, lime & orange sherbet and sprite!) and for the grown-ups we had Adleraan Ales (various beers including some Yuengling we picked up on our way home from our DC trip) and Padme Punch (which was a the Pineapple Lemonade Sangria I had made on the 4th!).

The spread all set up in our dinning room thanks to my friend Robyn!
And of course no birthday party is complete without some kind of game, activity and I had all intentions of putting together a "Jedi Training Course" but it was just so hot that I totally lacked motivation to set it up.  I did have a Darth Vader pinata filled with loads of goodies from bouncy balls to stickers and even a little bit of candy.  And we made Pool Noodle Light Sabers for the party favors.  With the bounce house we rented and the kiddie pool and slip n slide, the kids didn't need any planned activities!  It was actually nice!

Darth Vader pinata!
Homemade Pool Noodle Light Sabers for party favors!

Oh and you can't have a birthday party without CAKE!  Last year I had made a homemade ice cream cake and it was such a big hit, I did it again.  It had 3 layers of ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, crushed oreos and a cookie brownie crust that while tasted delicious was too hard to cut through so Charlie has requested that I come up with a better idea for a crust next year!  I found a Star Wars font online (again thank you Pinterest!) and bough sugar paper and traced the printed out logo I made on the placed it on top of the cake.  Then I sprayed the outside layer of coolwhip with silver spray and added some Star Wars I had picked up at Target. It doesn't look pretty but it really does taste yummy!



Shaun checking out the candles!
Star Wars Ice Cream Cake
Ready to sing Happy Birthday to David, Shaun & Evan
It was a great day, heat and all and the boys were so excited to celebrate with all our friends and family!  I am already looking forward to next year!

Where Evan spent the majority of the day!
Even Mom and Dad got decked out in Star Wars attire!
The bounce house is not just for the kids!
Fireworks that we bought for anyone who decided to stay late!
Watching a preview of the Fireworks show!
Cousins
When the sun was behind the trees, the boys get ready to light some fireworks.
After the fireworks show and everyone had gone home, with the exception of the Mailloux's who were staying with us for the weekend, I gave the kids some glow sticks I forgot I had and we decided to have a little fun in the playroom.  I told them I would turn them into ghosts. They thought it was pretty cool that they couldn't see themselves in the picture, only the light!
Ghosts in the playroom!

No comments: