June 12, 2009

Dish of the Week: Grilled Chicken in Root Beer Marinade

This weeks Dish Grilled Chicken in Root Beer Marinade is not really a dish but a recipe for a really interesting marinade. I found it on the Food Network's website when I was looking for a recipe for a homemade marinade for my chicken.

Ingredients:
6 (5-ounce) boneless chicken breast fillets

Marinade:
1 cup olive oil
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 tablespoon dry minced garlic
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 ounces root beer

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and add the chicken breasts. Marinate for approximately 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill. Grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

To serve, place on a bun or plain bread and serve with French fries and a mug of root beer.

The Verdict:
The chicken was VERY juicy. I was really happy with how the chicken came out on the grill. I can't say though I noticed the flavor of the root beer. It did have a nice flavor but not what I was expecting. Perhaps it's supposed to be a subtle taste? In any case, I would use this marinade again just because it did taste very good.

Next time if I serve this on a roll again I will add some cheddar cheese, BBQ sauce and bacon! Otherwise, it was on the boring side. I think this chicken would also work well served with rice and grilled veggies.

No comments: