June 5, 2009

Dish of the Week: Pesto Chicken Grill Packets

This weeks dish is Pesto Chicken Grill Packets. It's from the Summer issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. I am still having fun using my grill and this dish not only yummy but it's healthy too!

Ingredients:
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2-1/4 pounds)
Salt and pepper
1 cup pesto (see recipe finder)
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
8 scallions, trimmed

Serve with rice (or whatever starch you feel like!)

Directions:
1. Preheat a grill to medium. Cut four 12-inch-long sheets of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil into the center of each sheet.

2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Lay 1 piece of chicken in the center of each sheet and spread 1 tablespoon pesto on top.

3. Mound one-quarter of the zucchini, tomatoes and scallions over each chicken breast. Dollop 3 tablespoons pesto over each mound. Fold the foil over the chicken and vegetables; pinch the edges to seal.

4. Cover and grill the packets over indirect heat for 25 minutes. Remove from the grill and open carefully.

The Verdict: I was pleasantly surprised by this dish. I honestly didn't know what to expect, as I haven't used a lot of pesto in my cooking. It's a flavor I am starting to really like more and more. The Doc started a month long rotation in the CCU that has him home late so he didn't really have the chance to really enjoy this right off the grill as I did. I am also not sure he was a fan of the pesto. What impressed me the most, was how juicy the chicken was. For full disclosure, I used a store bought pesto, as I don't have a food processor to make my own. I also omitted the tomatoes and added some broccoli and cauliflower. Try this one out if your looking for something simple, tasty and healthy.

No comments: