March 24, 2013

365 ~ 2013: Day 83

About 6 years ago, my cousin and I began a tradition as a way to plan ahead some time to hang out.  At the time I was living in Philadelphia and taking care of a newborn.  Every 15 weeks (give or take!) we meet up, have lunch (or dinner depending on the timing!) and head to the salon and get our hair done!  Sometimes we'll even throw in a little shopping.  I look forward to this day because as a mother it's not often that you get time just for yourself and it's nice to know that no matter how busy each of us gets within our lives, we always have these days set aside to hang!

Yesterday was, what I have since dubbed, our "Beautification Day".  We go to the ECO Salon in Londonderry, so if you're every looking for a new place to go, I highly recommend this salon!  I always leave feeling like a million bucks!  Anyway, afterwards since our hair was already being done I decided to book some of my studio time that came with my membership at SOPHA, so that I could practice with the lighting equipment!  As much as I would love to take the boys down here to get some great portraits, using one of the many different backgrounds and props, I am still learning and working on getting more efficient setting up all the gear.  So I asked my cousin if she would be my model!

We had a lot of fun last night and got some great shots.  I can already see some mistakes and things to work on and I have a couple questions I'll ask the next time I am in the studio but overall it was a success.  I was able to set up the equipment and meter it correctly and I didn't break anything, so that is good!  Here is my favorite shot from the night.  It's a real genuine smile and that is why I love it!

No comments: