May 29, 2006

P. Sophie's A Baby Story: Bloody Nose & Too Much Candy

Friday was a very interesting day. I woke up with the Doc at 5:30am - we were lazy the night before and didn't get the trash together for trash day. The Doc left the house at ten to 6. As soon as he left the house it was time for me to get ready for work. I go into the bathroom and blow my nose - all of a sudden blood is gushing from my nose and I can't stop it. I ran to the door to see if the Doc was still there - he was gone. I panic. I have never had a bloody nose before (or if I did I was too young to remember) and so I had no idea what to do. Do I hold my head back? Do I hold it forward? It won't stop!! Finally I take a handful of tissues and just hold my nose tight. After about 5 minutes - it had stopped. I have not even the slightest idea what caused the bloody nose and thankfully it didn't happen again.

Later that day was our doctors appointment. The appointments are pretty much a waste of time except that we do get to listen to the baby's heartbeat each time. I show up, check in, wait then get called by the nurse who takes my blood pressure and weighs me (that's the FUN part). After that we go into the room where we wait for the Doctor. Since this is a group of OB/GYN's we usually see a different doctor each time. This time we saw Dr. Chen. In the appointment I get the same questions: "how are you feeling?" or "any problems?" Now it is time to talk about my weight. This time I added four pounds since my last appointment. Total weight gain has been a little over 20lbs so far. In my opinion that is not horrible. Unless I am having an "I feel disgusting" day I feel pretty good about my weight and don't feel like I look that big.

But it's a concern by the doctor's. I know why I have put on so much weight in the last eight weeks - it's the ice cream, water ice and candy (mostly the candy) that I can't stop eating! My eating habits are no different than before. I actually eat a more well balanced diet - well except for the daily candy and frequent trips between getting water ice and ice cream. I told Dr. Chen that I especially like M&M's because it's little pieces so when I have the munchies I can munch on those. He suggested (get ready to laugh) that maybe I substitute the M&M's for some carrot sticks. CARROT STICKS??!! Are you effin' kidding me?! Please explain to me how carrot sticks are even close to tasty chocolaty M&M's.

After I laughed at him - I told him that I would cut back on my sweets but I couldn't cut them out completely. The weird part is that I have never been a sweets person. Normally when I get the munchies I want something salty. Not now, though. I don't know what would be worse though...chowing on a couple M&M's or a bag of potato chips. I suppose it's not really that different.

So we have hit the 30 week mark and so that means we’ll be going to the Doctor’s every two weeks now. 30 weeks! Holy Crap! That means 7-10 weeks left. No more...if he hasn't made his arrival by the 8th - we're smoking him out! That is strictly because of the Doc’s new schedule. Right now he has a nice block of elective time for the two weeks before and two weeks after our due date. So if wait it out and he arrives too late – the Doc won’t be able to spend time with the little guy before he begins a two week rotation on the Cardiac Care Unit. I suppose we’ll have to see if the Doctor’s will be on our side for that. I never wanted to plan my baby’s arrival but I also don’t want the Doc to have only a couple days to adjust to a new baby in the house and being a Jr. Resident.

No comments: