March 17, 2009

American Idol: Grand Ole Opry

I am never a big fan of country night but this year was unbelievable. I think most sang really well tonight and overall it was a great show.

Top performance goes to Matt Giraud. It was amazing!

Here is a run down of each contestant and my thoughts on their performance in no particular order:

1. Adam Lambert: He is so different. I agree with the judges that it was weird but I still kinda liked it. It was a little bit of a let down compared to last week for me but still solid. I enjoyed the vocal side to his arrangement more so than the performance of it. If that makes any sense. I agree with Randy's Nine Inch Nails meets Grand Ole Opry comparison.

2. Alexis Grace: I disagree with the judges critique. Jolene was a great song choice for her. I love that song though, so that probably helps. She has really solid vocals and she can't be edgy every week or they'll start to criticize her for that.

3. Alison Iraheta: She's 16!!! I mean seriously. She is 16 years old. I think I am going to be saying this every week.

4. Anoop Desai: YEAH!! I am so happy for him. I don't know why but I really really like this guy and want to see him do well. His version of Always on My Mind was just beautifully sung. He has stepped up his game big time. Now he just has to continue!

5. Danny Gokey: Wow! I got all choked up and I will admit that it made me cry. Until Matt sang this was by far the best performance of the night. He just has so much soul when he sings and I just LOVE HIM.

6. Kris Allen: Way better than last week, but he is still not one of the stand out contestants. He is almost forgettable to me, especially compared to performances like Adam, Matt & Danny. Even Anoop out sang him.

7. Lil Rounds: There is no question she can sing, but I wasn't nuts about her tonight. She sang well but her performance was almost boring. It was almost disappointing and completely forgettable.

8. Matt Giraud: BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT! Everything about that performance was just amazing. Song choice, arrangement, vocal, you name it. I love his vibe and it really came through in that performance.

9. Megan Joy Corkrey: She has one of the most unique vocals. I love it and I know I am in the minority but her performance is one I will remember from tonight. There is something so fun about her and I would love to hear her on the radio!

10. Michael Saver: Fun performance but weak vocals. Hard to understand what he was saying. In my opinion, worst of the night. Even though it was fun to watch and he's a nice guy he just doesn't compare to the others in this competition.

11. Scott MacIntyre: His best performance yet but I am still not jumping on the bandwagon. He really needs to shake things up a bit. He is becoming boning and predictable. Same old same old for me.

I think that based on the performances last night we'll be saying goodbye to Michael. His performance was by far the weakest. I get that people *like* him so that could be a saving grace for him and maybe we'll see someone with great vocals like Alexis going home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you don't have to feel bad...I cried during danny's performance. I haven't watched the results yet. I saw on the news michael and alexis standing next to eachother. So i am going to guess alexis went home, and that makes me sad.