March 26, 2009

Dish of the Week: Mailloux Beef Burgundy

This weeks dish is, what I am now calling, Mailloux Beef Burgundy. It was given to me by our good friends the Mailloux's and since I am not sure where they got it from, I will just give them the credit! I had asked some of my family and friends, before David was born, and before I became a 30 minute meal addict, for easy dinners. We knew with a baby on the way there was no way we could order out all the time. Robyn had given me a bunch of handwritten recipe cards with some of her favorite dishes and this was one of the dishes.

Ingredients:
3 slices Bacon (chopped)
2lbs Beef Sirloin Tips or Round Steak (cut into 1” cubes)
¼ cup Flour
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Season Salt
½ tsp Pepper
½ tsp Thyme
½ tsp Marjoram
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 Beef Bouillon Cube (crushed)
1 cup Burgundy Wine (any other red wine you have around the house would be fine as well)
1 cup Sliced Mushrooms
2 Tbsp Cornstarch disolved in 2 tbsp water (optional)

Rice or Wide Noodles

Directions:
In a large skillet, cook bacon several minutes until brown. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and reserve. Coat beef with flour and brown on all sides in bacon drippings. Combine all ingredients (including bacon drippings) except for mushrooms in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Turn control to high and add the mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes longer. To thicken (if desired) add cornstarch mixture at the time of the mushrooms.

Serve over rice or noodles

The Verdict:
This gets a 4 star rating from the Doc. This was the first dish I made in the CrockPot (the one that sat in my cabinet collecting dust for 6-1/2 years) and tonight was the third time we have had this recipe. It's super easy to make and the flavor of the beef is so good! Ironically, I have never used Burgundy wine to make this dish. All three times I just used the Merlot that we had in our house. I also serve it over rice because the Doc isn't a fan of egg noodles. This is a great slow cooker dish, if you like beef, and you want something easy that still has a lot of flavor.

No comments: