March 11, 2009

American Idol: Week One

I do a weekly American Idol analysis on my Mommy Message Board and, so after talking to Princess B, decided to post it here as well. Enough people I know watch the show so here it goes:

Best performance of the night (and probably in all 8 seasons) goes to Adam Lambert. From the vocals down to the light show that accompanied his perfect song choice, it was just amazing and completely flawless.

Here is a run down of each contestant and my thoughts on their performance in no particular order:

1. Adam Lambert: (see above) While he is not my favorite contestant, he is certainly one of the more talented of this season. I wasn't sure what to think of him after his preliminary round performance of Satisfaction. I knew it was good but I wasn't ready to jump on the bandwagon. Well last night's performance of Black and White was unreal and I am officially a fan.

2. Alexis Grace: I liked her performance last night. It was solid. Not the best but certainly not the worst. I disagreed with the judges when they said it was over the top. I thought she looked great. But that is because I only wish I could wear something like that!

3. Alison Iraheta: She's 16!!! I mean seriously. She is 16 years old. It wasn't as good as her performance of Alone last week but that has more to do with the fact that I personally didn't like the song she chose this week. She can rock and she has amazing vocals.

4. Anoop Desai: It pains me to write this, because I really really like him, but his performance was painful to watch. I liked that he went uptempo and tried to show off why people like him (ala My Perogative), but choosing Beat It was the wrong way to do that. Such a shame because I had an almost underdog feeling about him.

5. Danny Gokey: No secret to anyone I have already talked to about American Idol that he is my favorite contestant. LOVE HIM! And now I love him even more. I agreed with Randy about the dancing too! It suited his performance and you really get a sense that he loves the music. While Adam takes overall performance - Danny gets best vocals of the night. He is proving, to me anyway, to be one of the best vocals I have heard on the show in all 8 seasons.

6. Jasmine Murray: OK she is one of those contestants that I cannot get on board with. She is 17 and there is no question she can sing, but she sings like she is 17. Like a sweet girl who has a great voice. I can't picture her being a star. I thought her perform ace was sweet and that doesn't win you any competitions in my opinion. You can't even compare her to Alison.

7. Jorge Nunez: Most disappointing performance of the night. Compared to his performance in the preliminary round this one just fell flat. It did him no favors and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the bottom three (or however they plan to do things this year).

8. Kris Allen: OK, maybe I am missing something but I don't know what the big deal is over this guy. I know that Princess B and her Hub will disagree with me but I don't get it. First of all, let me say he can sing but I am still missing what it is about him that is supposed to be so great. I was told by the PB's Hub, that once I saw him with his guitar I would change my mind, but my mind goes unchanged. He is forgettable to me. Do you Remember is NOT the song you rock out on your *acoustic* guitar to. It seemed awkward to me.

9. Lil Rounds: I loved her in the preliminaries. She is not the kind of singer that suits my taste but she is super talented. I just felt that she wasn't amazing last night as she has been in the past, but she still had a solid performance.

10. Matt Giraud: Welcome back!! It was nice to see him with his piano again. It's when he shines, it was a good song choice and good vocal. Loved his falsetto.

11. Megan Joy Corkrey: I don't care what the judges say, I LOVE her! She has a tone to her voice that is so unique. I like her quirky dance moves down to her vocal styling. I can agree that the song choice may have been childish (reminded me of Brooke's Here Comes the Sun from last season), but she still gave it her signature flare and that is why I love her.

12. Michael Saver: He showed that he could really belt out a tune last night but I am still unsure of his place in this competition. He is a nice guy and I think that will get him far. All he needs to do now is sing Proud to Be an American and he'll be a shoo-in for the top 6 at least!

13. Scott MacIntyre: Definitely better with his piano but still over-rated. I don't think his vocal was amazing and I hated his song choice. It was not as dull as in the preliminary round when he sang Mandolin Rain but it was pretty close.

So there you have it, my analysis of the top 13 contestants on American Idol, Season 8. My guess on the *twist* is that American will vote and the bottom 3 will be put up in front of the judges and then they will decide who goes home. Perhaps they even have them do a sing off or something like that.

If I had to pick who would be going home it would sadly be Anoop with Jasmine and Jorge in the bottom three with him. So let's hear who your favorites are and if you agree or disagree with my analysis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So i have always hated this show, but this year i got hooked.... Because of Danny I love him, and his story...and i am very happy with the votes on thursday night. Scottie thought for sure Anoop was going home and was mad when he was told he was safe. So we will see what happens next week. I am a fan of Danny,Adam,Alexis and Alison.