April 23, 2005

2 - 4 - 6 - 8 Who do We Appreciate?

Jesus, Jesus, Yeah Jesus!

More Christian schools opting for faith-based cheerleading
KRISTEN WYATT - Associated Press

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Bare midriffs. Short skirts. Bump-and-grind routines.
Cheerleading has strayed far from the 2-4-6-8 routines of yesteryear, and that can leave parochial school cheerleading squads wondering how to craft routines that fit their values without looking downright retro.

That's where Christian cheerleading camps come in. A growing number of Christian schools, put off by the sometimes-seductive dances and cheers taught at secular camps, are opting instead for faith-based camps and competitions. It's where Bible study meets basket tosses and the music doesn't have to be bleeped out...


I was trying to come up with something funny to say here - but the quotes in the article stole my thunder. I recommend reading it for yourself. I think I blew a funny fuse.

"There's not the pressure," said Tracy Handey, a 15-year-old cheerleader at Humble Christian School in Humble, Texas. Handey's squad went to a CCA camp, where no one snickered at their skirts that fall to 4 inches above the knee. "I like our uniforms because they don't show everything."

Hmmm...I bet if you asked the boys at these 'christian' schools if secular cheerleader uniforms offended them they would say - YES...they're not revealing enough.

The camps work just like secular ones, but with devotional time added in mornings and nights. Most of the instructors are college cheerleaders who went to Christian schools when they were younger, and they're encouraged to talk about their faith. They tell campers that cheering is a God-given talent that can spread Christian lessons.

Give me a G
Give me an O
Give me a D

What's that spell?

No comments: