April 7, 2010

AI: Lennon/McCartney

Last night was songs from the Lennon/McCartney songbook. It was yet another solid night from the Idol contestants...though it probably helps that I love all the songs they were able to choose from! I am still getting over my shock of Didi leaving last week and tried really hard not to take it out on the contestants I thought should have gone in her place.

Below is my review in no particular order:

1. Michael Lynche: song - Eleanor Rigby
Another solid performance. It was a good vocal but I am not sure how I felt about the arrangement. It was (as Randy would say) a little weird for me. I like him better with a guitar because he doesn't distract me with his ridiculous hand gestures! David Cook's version two season ago was WAY better!

2. Casey James: song - Jealous Guy
I liked that he changed things up a bit by choosing this song. It was a very good vocal I like the original version of the song better but this was by far his best performance. I don't think it was the best of the night, but that has more to do with my bias than anything else.

3. Andrew Garcia: song - Can't Buy Me Love
I really love the tone in his voice and it makes me happy that he's been given the chance to stay and prove why he belongs here. There was definitely the cheese factor with his song selection, but it was still fun and I absolutely love the tone of his voice and the way he ends his phrases. I do however, agree with Simon, that it would have been better without the band in the background.

4. Katie Stevens: song - Let it Be
Vocally this was her best performance. I don't think I loved it as much as the judges did but it was solid. I still think she has a lot of room to grow.

5. Tim Urban: song - All My Lovin'
OK well to be fair, anything was going to be better than Queen and Sweet Love. He's so nice and sweet but I am starting to feel a little bad for him since it's obvious to even him, that he's the weakest link. I do give the him credit, like Simon said, he's taking it all in stride and just doing his thing. It was a nice version of the original song but nothing to write home about.

6. Sibohan Magnus: song - Across the Universe
After last weeks disaster I thought it was great to see her come out and just sing. While the song is one of my least favorite songs in the songbook, it was sung beautifully and in tune and you could really get the sense that she believed what she was singing. I do agree it was a little sleepy and I laughed when the Doc said it would be the perfect song to play for the boys to get them to fall asleep at night!

7. Lee DeWyze: song - Treat Her Like A Lady
I realize my bias is coming through but this was, in my opinion, the BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT! I even dug the bagpipes! It was weird and I am still not sure what he was thinking but hey, it was interesting! I think it was the best because he's the one contestant who has gotten better, and better each week. This week we saw more smiles, more confidence and he even got the audience involved. It thought it was awesome!

8. Aaron Kelly: song - The Long and Winding Road
UGH! This was the worst performance of the night. It was boring and slow and he continues to do the same thing every week and it was nice to finally have the judges say so. I really want this kid voted off, if you couldn't tell!

9. Crystal Bowersox: song - Midnight Train to Georgia
Another solid performance from Crystal. She is definitely a front runner. It was a great arrangement and a great vocal.

My predictions for tonights bottom three:
1. Aaron
2. Katie
3. Tim

Contestant most likely to sing their Swan Song and be sent packing:
Aaron...even though it should be Tim based on previous weeks, he's got his VFTW fans and Aaron is just so boring.

No comments: