March 24, 2010

AI: #1 Billboard Hits

With the contestants choosing #1 songs from the the Top 100 Billboard charts I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by the selections. Last weeks show was a million times better and I am not that big a Stones fan. I did disagree with some of the criticism of a few contestants but over all was in agreement that song choice killed them. I turned off last nights show with a bad taste in my mouth, thinking that whoever is advising these contestants about their song choices needs to be F-I-R-E-D!

Below is my review in no particular order:

1. Michael Lynche: song - When a Man Loves a Woman
As I sated last week, I really like his falsetto and he does have a great voice. That being said, I HATE that song and he didn't make me like it any more even with his, nice boy smile. I agreed with the judges when they argued that it was a tad over the top. When compared with the nights other performances though this one was one of the better ones.

2. Didi Benami: song - You're No Good
Apparently the judges and I were listening to different performances because I really liked it. I LOVE her voice. She is my favorite contestant, and so I can admit that perhaps I am a little biased but I don't think it was as bad as the judges said. It wasn't her best or the best of the night but I still really liked it a lot, especially when you compare it to the other contestants. It amuses me that the judges will tear you a new one for doing the same thing week to week, and then tear you a new one when you go outside the box and do something a little different.

3. Casey James: song - Power of Love
I said exactly what Simon had said before he even said it. It was a more than OK copycat performance of a famous 80's song. I don't know what the heck Kara was listening to, he in NO WAY shape for form made that song his own. I'd argue he sounded EXACTLY like Huey Lewis. That is not a bad thing, because certainly has a good voice, but that was no STAR QUALITY performance Kara. I still don't get it.

4. Andrew Garcia: song - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
I really love the tone of his voice, and I felt it came through more tonight in his rendition of this Marvin Gaye #1 hit, but I think his days are now numbered. He wasn't the worst, in my opinion, but people are probably done giving him chances. I don't know what happened to him. He has one of the better voices out of all the men.

5. Katie Stevens: song - Big Girl's Don't Cry
She is getting better with her song choices but she cannot compete with the likes of Crystal, Siobhan and Didi. I think she is starting to find her way with who she is but her performance last night was good, not great or amazing. She is lucky that Paige didn't sing a single note in tune.

6. Tim Urban: song - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
That wins the award for cheesiest performance of the night, add that to his very weak vocals and he's in a lot of trouble. He has a nice voice but he's not a superstar.

7. Sibohan Magnus: song - Superstition
That was crazy good. She is just so insane, in a good way! It wasn't nearly as good as last week, but she continues to wow me. Though, that isn't saying much with the performances this week.

8. Lee DeWyze: song - The Letter
I wasn't nuts about his song choice. I did however like that he came across as more confident and I swear I saw a smile! It was fun to watch but again not saying much with this weeks train wrecks! His vocals are still the best of the guys and he continues to sound better and look better on stage every week.

9. Paige Miles: song - Against All Odds
Last week she was forgettable, this week I can't get that train wreck out of my head. That seriously has to be the WORST performance I have seen on idol, probably ever. I felt so bad for her, she didn't sing ONE note in tune. It was so out of tune a tone deaf person would have been able to pick up on it. It was also a terrible arrangement of the song. She should be packing her bags.

10. Aaron Kelly: song - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
COME ON! Are you kidding me. First off, in my book, he lost points for song choice. Even my all time favorite contestant, David Cook, couldn't get me to like this song so teeny bopper, weirdo Aaron certainly won't. This kid leaves me scratching my head every week. Will someone please tell me what I am missing with him. He sing nice copy cat versions of all his songs. Why don't the judges tell him to "change it up" or "make it his own". For some reason, that I cannot for the life of me figure out, people like him which means, unfortunately for me, that he'll continue to be around. Ugh.

11. Crystal Bowersox: song - Me and Bobby McGee
BEST OF THE NIGHT. Which again is not saying much in this week of train wrecks, but her rendition of this Janis Joplin hit was unreal! To use a Randy-ism, it is one of my favorite songs of all time, and I just loved everything about it.

My predictions for tonights bottom three:
1. Paige
2. Andrew
3. Tim

Contestant most likely to sing their Swan Song and be sent packing:
Paige...and if it's not then I don't know anymore!

No comments: