March 17, 2010

AI: Top 12 and the Stones

Last night the top 12 contestants took on the songbook of the Rolling Stones. After the song choices last night I thought I knew more Stones songs than I did. I only recognized four of the songs. Overall I enjoyed their performances but Siobhan was hands down the best of the night.

Below is my review in no particular order:

1. Michael Lynche: song - Miss You
I really liked his falsetto and think he is genuinely good performer but I am still not jumping up and down like the judges are with him. Overall though he's a solid contestant and he'll make it far in the competition.

2. Didi Benami: song - Play with Fire
It's no secret that I LOVE her. I absolutely love her voice, in fact she is my favorite vocally out of any contestant. I thought she sang with so much passion last night and I really enjoyed it. I do like her better with her guitar though!

3. Casey James: song - All Over Now
Seriously?! What am I missing here with this guy. I just cannot jump on the Casey bandwagon. I said out loud while watching that I couldn't understand what the big deal was with him, when the Doc looked up from the laptop and said "It's because he's 'pretty'." Um, well not in my opinion. I did like the bluesy arrangement, and there is no doubt that he can sing well, I am just not excited about him. He'll be around for a while though.

4. Lacey Brown: song - Ruby Tuesday
I thought this was a good song choice for her. It was my favorite performance of hers. I really like her voice a lot, but she cannot compete with Siobhan, Crystal and Didi, in my opinion. It wasn't bad but nothing to write home about.

5. Andrew Garcia: song - Give Me Shelter
I actually liked this and disagreed with the judges. I think it was nice to see him really sing a song for a change that was different than trying to do another "Straight Up". He has a really great voice, I don't understand what is going on with him though that is keeping him from really standing out. I hope he sticks around another week because he has lot of potential.

6. Katie Stevens: song - Wild Horses
This was her best performance. It was a really good song choice which was important for her, because she hasn't done very well in that department. She is so young and while she can sing really well I just don't think she is quite there yet. She will be around another week but I don't see her going very far.

7. Tim Urban: song - Under My Thumb
I want to like him, he seems so likable, but he has the weakest vocals out of all the contestants in this competition. I didn't think the performance was as much a train wreck as Randy did, but when you compare it to the other performances of the night it was the weakest. I actually liked the vibe he was going for in the song (very Jason Mraz), but I also didn't know what the original version of the song sounded like so maybe that helped. I think his days are numbered.

8. Sibohan Magnus: song - Paint it Black
BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT! She is just so awesome. I loved everything about that performance right down to her look. She is definitely one of my favorites and out of anyone in the competition I look forward to seeing her song choices the most.

9. Lee DeWyze: song - Beast of Burden
He is my favorite male contestant. I love him. Out of anyone, he is the one I would stop and listen to on the radio. He constantly chooses the right songs and he is getting better every week. He is his own worst enemy though because he looks so scared up on the stage. I hope he can come out of his shell quickly, although, Elliot Yamin was the same way and he made it to the top 3!

10. Paige Miles: song - Honkey Tonk Woman
Completely unforgettable and extremely lucky to be in the Top 12. She stole Lilly's spot and in my opinion, didn't prove to me that she should be there over her last night. She is another one who will not be around very long. Needless to say, I am not a fan.

11. Aaron Kelly: song - Angie
Somebody please tell me what I am missing here with this kid. I mean really. He sings the same "boy band" song every week and the judges are literally falling all over themselves to compliment his performances and song choices. His weird facial expressions make me want to vomit. This was probably my least favorite performance of the night, but I doubt he'll be voted off. No way is this kid better than Alex Lambert.

12: Crystal Bowersox: song - You Can't Always Get What You Want
I really enjoy her. She is definitely a talented singer and performer. I also really liked her rendition of the song. She is obviously not going anywhere!

My predictions for tonights bottom three:
1. Paige
2. Aaron (more of a wish than a likely to happen - Andrew could be here as well as Lacey)
3. Tim

Contestant most likely to sing their Swan Song and be sent packing:
While I would like for it to be Aaron, it's going to be Tim.

No comments: